Wheatgrass is a form of young grass found in the wheat family. It is a nutrient rich food which forms the base of many dietary supplements in the market. It is believed to have several health benefits. It contains a concentrated level of nutrients such as iron, calcium and magnesium. It has a range of amino acids and vitamins like A, C and E.
Benefits of Wheatgrass
Take a look at some of the benefits of wheatgrass
• It helps increase red blood cell count and decreases blood pressure
• It cleanses the blood as well as gastrointestinal system
• It stimulates the thyroid gland to work well
• It restores alkalinity to the blood
• It detoxifies the blood and enhances the functioning of the liver
• It neutralizes toxins in the body
• It helps reverse damage to the lower bowels when used as an implant
• It soothes sunburnt skin and any external itching
• It is soothing when applied to a dry scalp
• It acts as a great bath salt
• It reduces the appearance of grey hair and slows down the aging process in general
• It enhances the elasticity of the skin
• Promotes fertility
How To Include Wheatgrass In Your Diet
Here are some of the ways in which you may add wheatgrass to your diet:
Fresh Wheatgrass juice: Since it has a high fiber content, wheatgrass cannot be consumed raw. However, you can juice it at home and add a few more ingredients to make it more palatable. If you have gardening space in your home, then you may even choose to grow some yourself so that you can control its quality. If you do not have the time to juice wheatgrass yourself, then you can buy it from stores in its juiced or powdered version. These days, many juice bars even have this on offer, and it’s becoming more popular.
Wheatgrass juice powder: You can get wheatgrass juice in the powdered form as well. All you need to do is mix it up with water and drink it. It may also be added into other fruit juices or mocktails to make it more interesting to have on a regular basis.
Wheatgrass tablets: Wheatgrass leaves are dried and pressed into tablets that may be ingested. These tablets also come in frozen form and will thaw out into powder or juices to be used as you please.
Frozen cubes: There are several health stores that have frozen wheatgrass cubes that you may purchase. These often contain 6 ounces of wheatgrass juice in each cube.
Wheatgrass powder: This dried powder may be used in your everyday cooking or it may be sprinkled over your food immediately before eating.
You must keep in mind that the body can only handle a small amount of wheatgrass on a daily basis. The best intake is around 1 to 2 oz 3 to 4 times daily.
2.8 grams of wheatgrass juice has 21 calories, .06 grams of fat, 2 grams of carbs .1 gram of fiber, 42.2 mg of chlorophyll, 92.4 mg choline and .80 grams of glucose.
Wheatgrass is generally considered to be safe. However, it is best to begin taking it under medical supervision. It is important that you do not take wheatgrass when you are expecting or lactating.