Going on a road trip is a great way to spend your time, but if you are a health conscious traveler you might be worried about how you are going to fare on the road with so many unhealthy options readily available. Fortunately, you can still stop at your favorite convenience stores and buy snacks without spoiling your diet.
– One of the most filling meals you can find at a convenience store is a breakfast cereal with whole grains, served with low-fat milk. You can even use the small box as a bowl so all you need to pick up is a plastic spoon. If you can’t find any cereal or milk, consider a protein bar instead. Just make sure the bar is not loaded with sugar.
– Most gas stations offer packaged seeds and nuts. The best choices are sunflower and pumpkin seeds, which are high in fiber. The best nuts you can find at a convenience store include peanuts, walnuts and cashews that are low in sodium.
– Instead of springing for a fruit chew or candy, see if the gas station offers any fruit. Many shops offer simple fruits, like apples and bananas. If you are unable to find fresh fruit, look for packaged, dried fruit like prunes, cranberries and raisins.
– You might be surprised to learn that beef jerky is not among the most unhealthy options available at a convenience store. Though jerky is high in sodium, it is low in calories and high in protein.
– It is a good idea to forego the soda and sugary juice on your trip and head for a fruit juice that is low in sugar and rich in Vitamin C. Of course, water is the best option and is always readily available.
– If you are in the mood for a cookie, check out the Fig Newtons. These cookies are low in calories, low in fat and high in fiber. They are not terrible for you and they can satisfy your sweet tooth!
– If you really must have an extra sweet snack, Peanut M&Ms are among the best chocolate snacks you will find on the shelves of gas stations. These candies contain very little chocolate but still give you the sweetness you crave.