Overweight? Blame Your Genes

Reviewed: May 09, 2013
By eHealthIQ

You can control what you eat, but ScienceDaily reports that your genes might be the reason why you have a difficult time resisting unhealthy foods. Food scientists already know that some fats have a texture and scent that appeals to certain genes, but researchers at the New York Obesity Research Center believe that most fats also have their own unique taste. Investigators believe that the CD36 and TAS2R28 genes affect how individuals perceive the taste of different fats.Investigators recently performed a taste and gene study on more than 300 African-Americans over the age of 18. The results of the study showed a correlation between the CD36 gene and a preference for the fats found in foods like oils and dressings. 21 percent of the African-Americans studied during this trial where found to have a genetic variant linked to an increased preference for fatty foods.Researchers also investigated the link between TAS2R28 and a preference for certain fats. TAS2R28 is a bitter taste receptor known for being one of the only receptors associated with the ability to taste different compounds. Approximately 70 percent of people in the United States can taste these bitter compounds. The study shows that the remaining 30 percent are unable to taste bitter compounds, making them more likely to consume fatty foods. A diet high in fat often increases the risk of obesity.Your genetic makeup might help contribute to obesity, but it is not the sole cause. More research is needed on the link between genes and excess body weight.Source: ScienceDaily
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120322162042.htm

Related Topics

More...

Popular Articles

The 8 Worst Foods For People With Hypertension

The 8 Worst Foods For People With Hypertension

According to the FDA, as many as 65 million people in America suffer from hyp...

Following a Sugar-Free Diet for Better Health

Following a Sugar-Free Diet for Better Health

Sugar has been proven to be an incredibly addictive substance, and it is also...

Why Matcha Tea is Better Than Regular Green Tea

Why Matcha Tea is Better Than Regular Green Tea

Green tea has become all the rage, since it boosts the metabolism...

7 Little Changes That Can Add Up to Losing Extra Pounds

7 Little Changes That Can Add Up to Losing Extra Pounds

Losing weight may seem like a daunting task. Many people believe that in orde...

How To Naturally Heal Joint Pain

How To Naturally Heal Joint Pain

There are several reasons that you may be experiencing joint pain. This can i...